Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Work? Who wanted to work?

That phrase "Be careful what you wish for" has been running through my head for the last three weeks. On September 8th I became gainfully employed as a temporary teacher of ESL in a nearby school. Now, this has come as a bit of a shock to my system. I was so used to sitting around, sipping coffee, watching Oprah, shopping and dozing at will that getting up at 6.30 every morning and facing ten eager (well, sometimes) young faces has been more than a wake up call. My students are wonderful and I am thoroughly enjoying my new direction - makes a huge change to be this side of the classroom door!

The weather here has now taken a downward turn and we had almost 24 hours of rain yesterday. The subsequent temperature drop is a rather unwelcome change and it has arrived just in time to make our visitors from the UK feel at home! They arrive on Saturday and will be most disappointed to discover that shorts are not a good idea now.

Dave and I have done our usual round of trying out new restaurants - a Vietnamese and the new French place. Both a bit high on the expense side given that it is China!

The good news is that we have finally joined a gym and are now attending regularly. When I say attending, it isn't necessarily to work out - there is a wonderful spa in the bottom floor which I simply had to try out last weekend - while Dave ran on the treadmill, I had my nails done! I know........., not the plan but I felt that surviving two weeks in a classroom was a good excuse to give myself a treat. Dave didn't feel the same need and I could suggest that this is because he no longer spends time in the classroom but as he had quite a week with other things, I wouldn't be so unkind!!!

We have a few days off next week so are heading to Beijing on the Bullet Train - I'll let you know how we get on..... it could be quite a trip! New stations both ends and a new way of travelling - sounds like a potential blog to me........

No comments: